Jodie Hommer Counseling, PLLC provides counseling to women, children, couples, and families. We are located in the Spokane Valley which is conveniently located to serve Spokane, the Spokane Valley, and Liberty Lake.
Although trained to work with a variety of presenting issues and concerns this speciality practice provides counseling for those managing the following:
- Stress and worry related to adjustment issues (e.g. recent move, new medical diagnosis, recent separation, new college student, new parent)
- Issues with Mood (someone who experiences anxiety, panic attacks, depression)
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or Asperger's (term formerly used for high functioning Autism)
- Food allergies and Anaphylaxis (life threatening allergic reaction)
- Stress and worry related to managing Autoimmune Disorders (e.g. Celiac, IBS, Fibromyalgia, Hashimoto's)
- Couples/Family therapy for the above issues
Approach to Counseling
I believe anyone can greatly benefit from learning the core principles of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) model. CBT is a brief therapy model and focuses on the present and teaches you how to identify unhelpful thoughts and change their influence on your life. CBT has been proven effective through clinical research and is an evidence-based, highly recommended form of counseling for a variety of presenting concerns. I have also found CBT effective in work with couples and families as it helps to assist in increasing effective communication. Based on the concerns that are leading you to seek counseling - other therapeutic interventions may be used in addition to CBT. Overall, I find that educating clients on the CBT model can be very empowering because you can graduate from counseling and take what you have learned and apply it in the future to manage your symptoms and to impact your relationships in healthy ways.
Jodie Hommer, MA, MHP, CCTP, LMHC, LMFT
Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist